The CSU Board of Trustees made the decision to increase tuition by 6% per year over the next five years starting fall 2024.
President of Sacramento State University Dr. Luke Wood sent an email to all students on September 14, 2023 regarding the tuition increase. There he stated that the CSU Board of Trustees made the decision to increase tuition 6% per year over the next five years, starting with the Fall 2024 semester. That is a whopping 30% increase by 2029.
Sacramento State University President Wood also shared a video, in typical political fashion, stating he hears the cries of the students.
A ten point plan was also outlined in an attempt to mitigate the costs.
- Launch an awareness campaign focused on tuition increases and financial aid resources.
- Establish a tiger team on reducing barriers in financial aid and scholarships.
- Increase scholarship utilization rate by streamlining and simplifying scholarship processes.
- Increase staff in the financial aid office and provide more support for student staff.
- Implement a Sacramento State-led lobbying campaign at the state Capitol.
- Increase access to information on scholarships on main website and Canvas.
- Establish a Basic Needs Center on Campus
- Resume the removing administrative barriers working group.
- Increase opportunities for student employment.
- Increase fundraising for scholarships for students most impacted by tuition increase.